# FAB Meeting Minutes - 20 November 2024

Date: 2024-11-20
Location: Premier Lounge, Oakwell Stadium
PDF: https://images.gc.barnsleyfcservices.co.uk/8fdc9f60-bd62-11ef-9962-afabe92d70b0.pdf

1 
Barnsley FC Fan Advisory Group Meeting Minutes 
Date of Meeting Wednesday 20th November 2024 
Location Premier Lounge, Oakwell Stadium 
Time 6 pm 
Meeting Objective(s) 
Attendance 
Present Apologies 
John Bird - JB Phil Hall - PH Heather 
Linney - HL 
Steve Brain - SB Robin Harris - RH 
Claire Calton - CC Darren Hayes – DH (departed 
prior to Agenda Item 7) 
Kelly Drury - KD Curtis Ledger – CL (Online) 
Jon Flatman - JF 
Martin Wilson - MW 
Paul Gallagher – PG (Online) Dominic Wood - DW 
Andy Gaskell – AG (Minutes) Rob Zuk - RZ 
Agenda, Discussions, Issues 
Topic / Discussion Notes Discussion led by 
Chair’s Welcome KD 
KD welcomed everyone to the meeting. 
Agenda Item 1. - Actions from previous meeting (October 2024) 
RAG Rated (Red, Amber, Green) 
KD 
Double check catering offers raised with Cameron. There is currently an issue with 
offers on the till system. Cameron has raised this with the system providers, and 
they are looking for a solution. 
JB Next Meeting: 
Ongoing 
Speak to JF about putting a piece in the Chronicle with regards the financial 
standing of BFC after the financial results are release. 
JB ASAP: 
Ongoing 
Find the financial framework discussed in The Price of Football that simplifies club 
finances for the average fan. 
PG Next Meeting: 
Ongoing 
Session to show form/ Issue Tracker. PG Teams Meeting: 
Ongoing 
Create website and demo to FAB. PG ASAP: 
Ongoing 
Reach out to Wrexham CAB (Club Advisory Board) regarding links to NYD Fixture, 
Wrexham AFC rather than CAB responded, so parked this action for foreseeable. 
AG: 
Complete 
Safety query that was raised by supporter Daniel Simms addressed 
comprehensively. 
JF: 
Complete 
Come up with ideas for videos and send them to John ALL: 
Complete 
Agenda Item 2. - Previous minutes ALL 
The Minutes of the September and October FAB Meetings have now been signed 
off pending publication on BFC Website. 
SB highlighted an admin error in the order of Minutes as presented on the website, 
JB rectified the error during the meeting. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 2. 
2 
Agenda Item 3. – FanZone Update RZ 
RZ gave a comprehensive overview of early stage drawings/plans relating to the 
FanZone. RZ’s update outlined the following: 
• FanZone will be sited in the East Stand/Ponte End (South Stand) corner 
resulting in some existing car park space being lost to this new development. 
• Option 1 would be a Stack type Shipping Container FanZone. 
• Option 2 would be a Teepee type FanZone. 
Following RZ’s update overview of the Fan Zone development, there followed the 
opportunity for additional discussions and queries: 
JF explained that the Fan Zone was the single biggest budgetary element of the 
Capital Expenditure programme through Barnsley MBC at Oakwell. Furthermore, JF 
outlined the need to balance cost/quality/timeframe considerations with planning 
regulations and this has accordingly shaped the designs that have been devised for 
the FanZone. 
DW raised a question about potential expansion of the FanZone and if its capacity 
has the potential to be upped and future proofed with a possible extension longer 
term. 
JF explained that capacity of the FanZone is constrained by realities of planning 
regulations and a test event before the area becomes fully operational for the initial 
maximum capacity, in the first instance . JF made clear that the ambitions for the 
FanZone are to provide an enhance d fan experience, as well as generate revenue 
and if a success, p otential future expansion would be a fantastic outcome. JF also 
explained that drainage consideration s were a critical issue in the design of the 
FanZone with the two current options that are being considered. 
RH queried if the FanZone could be part of an al l year round offer linked to Major 
football tournaments such as Euros/World Cup. JF & RZ both explained that this was 
a possibility but dependent on Licensing for both Food and beverage services. 
RZ confirmed that the aspiration in meeting planning protocols by February 2024, 
would mean that at a 14 week construction turnaround, the Fan Zone could be 
operational by the final Home game of the season (Saturday 26th April v Shrewsbury) 
subject to all potential slippages associated with a construction project such as this. 
CL made an observation about Option 1 ‘Shipping Container’ appearing to offer both 
more ground space and general clearance than the Option 2 ‘Teepee’ which was 
acknowledged in further discussion amongst the group. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 3. 
Agenda Item 4. – Safe Standing Consultation at Oakwell JF 
JF formally consulted the Fan Advisory Board during Agenda Item 4, on Safe Standing 
at Oakwell. 
• Provision will be made for 500 ‘Safe Standing’ rail installation Seats in Ponte 
End (South Stand) block OR1 (all the way from front to back of this block for 
the avoidance of doubt). 
• A reciprocal 500 ‘Safe Standing’ rail installation Seats will be installed in the 
North Stand where Visiting Supporters are housed as part of ‘Safe Standing’ 
protocols. 
• Whilst the logistics of the rail installation to facilitate ‘Safe Standing’ is 
relatively simple, it was important that sight line work ensured views from 
the Disabled stand would not be compromised as a result of the rail 
installation. 
PG asked for clarification on the communication to those season ticket holders 
affected by this change to arrangements in the Ponte End (South Stand). Both JF and 
JB explained how communication to Season Ticket holders on this change would be 
robust and clear with direct comms and an online acknowledgement of t hese 
arrangements in addition. 
All FAB members in 
attendance, unanimously 
acknowledged the formal 
‘Safe Standing’ 
consultation to the group 
from Barnsley FC in 
Agenda Item 4. 
3 
Agenda Item 5. – Seats on East Stand Stairs CC 
CC highlighted issues for supporters climbing the main stairwell particularly in the 
East Stand at Oakwell and the potential for ‘res pite’ areas with seating to be made 
available to supporters. 
JF was happy to look at the feasibility of this and agreed to liaise with the club’s 
Safety Officer, Paul Davis (PD), on this. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
5: 
JF to liaise with PD on the 
feasibility of ‘respite’ 
areas. 
Agenda Item 6. – Matchday Guide RH 
RH raised the issue of the Family Excellence report highlighting a lack of clarity on 
food and drink section of the Pre Match Oakwell Guide. 
There followed a valuable discussion on potential for maps and visual guides to 
enhance the pre-match guide. KD concluded discussions by suggesting we simply 
enhance as best as possible what we’ve currently got available via the club as a pre-
match guide for home and away supporters and JB agreed to action this moving 
forward. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
6: 
JB to enhance existing 
visitor/Barnsley FC Club 
guide via the website. 
Agenda Item 7. – Kids Club RH 
RH shared with the group considerations when thinking about pre match 
engagement with younger supporters. 
PG highlighted inconsistent provision of activity in the ‘Ozone’ at the rear of the 
Ponte End (South Stand) and potentially how this could be improved through 
proactive engagement with the Barnsley FC Community Trust. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
7: 
DW to link with KC at the 
Barnsley FC Community 
Trust and report back to 
the FAB. 
Agenda Item 8 – Sky TV Statement PH 
PH stimulated a spirited debate about the merits of a public statement from the FAB 
in relation to the Sky TV EFL television deal and in particular, the impact on 
supporters for kick off time changes and associated date changes. 
Whilst a ric h discussion was had, with representative s from the FAB and the Club 
being advocates for a range of different perspectives and opinions, no consensus 
was found on the necessity to release a statement. Accordingly, KD and SB advised 
no specific action required on this agenda item at this time, but to continue 
monitoring and reviewing this topic as a FAB as the Football Season progresses. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 8. 
Agenda Item 9 – Community Trust Ideas All 
The group felt this agenda item would be best served through discussions a nd the 
previously agreed action on Agenda Item 7 of the meeting. 
No Action required on 
Agenda Item 9 as will be 
resolved through 
Action Log Agenda Item 
7: 
DW to link with KC at the 
Barnsley FC Community 
Trust and report back to 
the FAB 
Agenda Item 10. – Weekly Questions SB 
SB extended sincere thanks to JB/JF for his support is responding to a series of 
questions via the BBS Bulletin Board and a number of positive responses via this 
forum to JB/JF’s willingness to engage in a transparent way to the questions posted. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
10: 
SB to continue linking in 
with JB/JF on engagement 
with the BBS Bulletin 
Board on an ongoing 
basis. 
4 
Agenda Item 11. – Auracast: Bluetooth PH 
PH disseminated a paper on Auracast direct audio Streaming Technology, which he 
has been made aware of as a result of his work and links with RNID (National Hear 
Loss Charity). This Bluetooth technology could be a game changer for commentary 
options particularly for visually impaired supporters. Initial discussion around cost 
base and implementation in the context of existing infrastructure in the West Stand 
was positive, and it was agreed for feasibility work on the potential for Auracast to 
be installed at Oakwell by club representation attending this FAB meeting. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
11. 
JF/RZ/JB to undertake 
preliminary feasibility 
work as to potential to 
install Auracast 
technology at Oakwell. 
Agenda Item 12. – Meetings up to May 2025 JB 
Proposed future 2025 FAB Meeting Dates circulated by JB (post this meeting) 
• Thursday 16th January 2025 
• Tuesday 11th February 2025 
• Thursday 13th March 2025 
• Tuesday 15th April 2025 
• Tuesday 6th May 2025 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 12. 
Agenda Item 13. – Any Other Business (AOB) All 
• MW followed up on an enquiry from a visually impaired supported which 
led to further discussion about alternative commentaries and an action for 
follow up. 
• PG asked a question about Capital Expenditure works on the West Stand, 
which JF was able to respond explaining gutter repair work using a cherry 
picket on the pitch at the end of the season was a priority alongside 
upgrades to the concourse food and beverage areas of this stand. 
• MW queried the sale of Zero Alcohol products on match day, JF explained 
sales were poor and there was no basis upon which to make this product 
offering. 
• JF updated on a number of developments: 
- Matt Bailey commentator discussions are ongoing. 
- Club App ready to go awaiting relevant approvals. 
- ‘Oakwell Update’ Podcast episodes now available including from Spotify. 
- Catering App/QR code trial period is in further consideration. 
• JB Park n Ride/Matchday shuttle bus feasibility work ongoing. 
• DW queried if the club were involved with DWP Careers Pathways back into 
work, which JF confirmed was indeed the case 
• PG advised happy to updated the FAB contact form to reflect any new FAQs. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
13. 
MW to link with JB on 
clear info on local radio 
alternative commentaries 
on BFC Website 
PG to update the FAB 
contact form to reflect 
any new FAQs. 
Close – 8.00 pm 
Action Items 
Action Log Responsible Due Date 
Action Log Agenda Item 5: JF to liaise with PD on the feasibility of 
‘respite’ areas. 
JF December FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 6: JB to enhance existing visitor/Barnsley 
FC Club guide via the website. 
JB December FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 7: DW to link with KC at the Barnsley FC 
Community Trust and report back to the FAB. 
DW December FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 10: SB to continue linking in with JB/JF 
on engagement with the BBS Bulletin Board on an ongoing basis. 
SB/JB/JF Ongoing 
Action Log Agenda Item 11. JF/RZ/JB to undertake preliminary 
feasibility work as to potential to install Auracast technology at 
Oakwell. 
JF/RZ/JB December FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 13. MW to link with JB on clear info on 
local radio alternative commentaries on BFC Website. 
MW/JB December FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 13. PG to update the FAB contact form 
to reflect any new FAQs. 
PG December FAB Meeting 
Next Meeting 
5 
Date: Tues 17.12.2024 Time: 6.30 
pm 
Location: F2F @ OAKWELL 
Online Available 
Proposed 
2025 Future 
FAB 
Meetings: 
Thursday 16th January 2025 
Tuesday 11th February 2025 
Thursday 13th March 2025 
Tuesday 15th April 2025 
Tuesday 6th May 2025

Source: https://fab.barnsleyfc.co.uk/meetings/2024-11-20
