# FAB Meeting Minutes - 16 January 2025

Date: 2025-01-16
Location: Rimmington Lounge, Oakwell Stadium
PDF: https://images.gc.barnsleyfcservices.co.uk/5e927910-da6e-11ef-bbe4-c3aacd113428.pdf

1 
Barnsley FC Fan Advisory Group Meeting Minutes 
Date of Meeting Thursday 16th January 2025 
Location Rimmington Lounge, Oakwell Stadium 
Time 6:30 pm 
Meeting Objective(s) 
Attendance 
Present Apologies 
John Bird - JB Kelly Drury - KD Clair Calton - CC 
Jon Flatman - JF Curtis Ledger - CL Dominic Wood – DW 
Robin Harris – RH (Minutes) Steve Brain - SB 
Phil Hall - PH 
Martin Wilson – MW 
Andy Gaskell – AG 
Heather Linney – HL (Late) 
Agenda, Discussions, Issues 
Topic / Discussion Notes Discussion led by 
Chair’s Welcome KD 
KD welcomed everyone to the meeting. 
Agenda Item 1. – Updates and Actions from the previous minutes. 
KD 
December 2024 minutes have not yet been circulated and reviewed. KD is to 
circulate these to JF to approve and then to group for approval and publishing. As 
such, there was no discussion on previous action points. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
1: 
KD to circulate Dec 24’ 
minutes to group and JF 
for approval and 
publishing. 
Agenda Item 2. – FAB Contacts/Liaison CL 
CL raised a point around potentially meeting with other, similar groups to the 
Barnsley FAB to build a contact network. It was discussed that it would be a fantastic 
opportunity to help learn and found out more about other’s experiences within 
similar roles. JF noted that clubs such as Lincoln have a well -established FAB and 
would be happy to help contact them for a starting point. 
KD mentioned the possibility of a future conference for the boards, which was 
positively regarded by the group. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
2: 
CL to begin research and 
contacting similar groups 
in the league. CL will also 
liaise with JF around the 
Lincoln FAB and other 
groups. 
Agenda Item 3. – Car Parking. HL 
HL began discussions by briefing the group on her meeting with DW before the last 
home game to talk more about car parking in the Oakwell area. It has been 
previously mentioned regarding safety concerns around fans and cars leaving at 
similar times after home games on Belgrave Road. They also found similar issues on 
Grasmere and other roads. 
It was noted that DW had mentioned the issues of cones, and that while they are 
there for a reason, fans do not respect these and move, take or damage these. 
HL and DW are currently looking into what can be done in the future regarding the 
residents and preventing public parking and unsafe release during games. HL has 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded on Agenda 
Item 3. 
2 
been made aware to an ongoing court case in London and will look into this to see 
if there are any possibilities to implement similar actions down here. 
It was raised that residents are concerned about emergency vehicles being unable 
to gain access after the roads are closed at 2:30, but it was confirmed by several 
members of the group this is not the case and emergency vehicles will be allowed 
access if and when needed. 
Agenda Item 4 – Transport for Fans HL 
HL brought to the groups’ attention an elderly fan who was unable to attend the 
game on New Years Day since public transport did not run, and the fan relied on this 
to get to and from games. HL offered to pick up and drop the fan off but wanted to 
use the opportunity to potentially offer a service for fans on days like this. 
A rich group discussion followed, and it was noted by JF that this would be an 
opportunity for the board to lobby with local travel authority regarding specific 
matchday busses on days where public transport may not run. 
CL also mentioned an opportunity around encouraging carsharing within the club. 
This was not discussed further. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 4. 
Agenda Item 5. – Teddy Toss HL 
HL presented the idea of a “Teddy Toss” to the group. There were examples of other 
UK clubs and foreign clubs having such an event, and it was believed this would be a 
great opportunity for a charitable donation. 
A positive group discussion followed, where RH noted that a similar thing is done by 
UK ice hockey teams after the first goal, but questioned what may be the logistics of 
it done at a football team. A range of ideas were shared, from a pre-game toss to the 
potential of doing it on the yearly open day. 
JF welcomed the idea but has also noted it would need to be discussed further with 
the Stadium Safety Manager. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 5. 
Agenda Item 6. – Train Tickets Sale AG 
No discussion was had on this agenda item as it will be actioned in relation to agenda 
point 8. 
No specific action noted 
for Agenda Item 6 as will 
be resolved through 
Action Log Agenda Item 
8: 
AG to use this agenda 
point as a test for the 
“News” section on the 
FAB website. 
Agenda Item 7 – Toilet Access MW 
MW raised the question if fans can access the disabled stand and the toilets in there 
while queuing for the box office. 
JB confirmed that if a fan had the necessary requirements , that a member of staff 
would be happy to take the fan through to use the toilet. He also made aware that 
the stand would open at 12 on a matchday, and as such stewards would be happy to 
take a fan through for use. 
No Specific Action noted 
for Agenda Item 7. 
Agenda Item 8 – FAB Website PG 
PG gave a presentation on the website he has for the Fan Advisory Board. He 
toured the group around the site, showing all the sections of the website from the 
“About Us” section to the news section. He showed the potential of the website 
and how we as a group can use the website to update the fans about our meetings 
Action Log Agenda Item 
8: 
PG is to publish the 
website formally and will 
3 
(through the meetings tab on the site) and through the “News” section where we 
can publish our actions from meetings and big updates. PG also noted that he has 
followed guidelines for accessibility to make the website open and available to all. 
AG noted there may be a potential issue with this, in that there is potential for the 
group to just publish an article without prior checks. The group then discussed 
ideas around how this could be prevented, including a holding area in the page for 
approval from both a chair and the club. 
CL also raised the point that there should be a small note that minutes are delayed 
for upload due to group approval, this was agreed upon by the group. 
JB also said that the website would be freely linked to the main club page for easy 
access to the fans. 
allow board members to 
test the site first before 
public use. 
AG is to use his agenda 
point 6 as a test for the 
website before it goes 
live. 
Agenda Item 9. – Crowd Surfer Funding RH 
RH pointed out the current ongoing funding for the crowd surfer from fan groups. 
JF then briefed the group that this was an idea at the end of 2024 , having had the 
same fan group come down and measure up. The club then offered to pay for the 
flag, however the idea never got any traction. Now, the idea is up and running, the 
club once again offered their support to front load funding, however this was politely 
turned down by the group and with good reason. Club are fully supportive of the 
initiative. 
There was also a spirited discussion on images and what is and is not appropriate. 
The group discussed certain designs and understood there are regulations and 
guidelines to be followed. 
No Specific Action logged 
for Agenda Item 9. 
Agenda Item 10 – Ground Housekeeping. MW 
MW has noted that he has a fan contact him regarding ground untidiness. The fan 
commented on the corner between the East Stand and South Stand being untidy 
with rubbish and looking unkept, and also that the netting on the away end is dirty. 
JF replied that this corner in question has recently had a new paint job, and also 
noted that strong winds prior to the previous game has blown a lot of rubbish around 
the ground. 
JF did recognise he was unsure on the away netting, and logged he would go away 
and look into this. He would also follow up on the discussed corner. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
10: 
JF to look into the away 
netting and the tidiness 
of the ground. 
Agenda Item 11 – Local Residents’ Chronicle Article BFC 
JF has noted his frustration and disappoint ment at the actions of the individual 
which led to a story being run in the local newspaper. He was particularly 
disappointed around the club’s work being overshadowed by this article. He noted 
that the club has since responded in an appropriate manner to the resident. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 11. 
Agenda Item 12 – 2025/26 Season Tickets BFC 
JF and JB has announced the club are currently in the process of setting the prices 
for next seasons’ season tickets. It was acknowledged that there is a tight deadline 
for these, so the FAB may meet early to discuss and approve pricing early. 
MW asked if there will be Saturday only season tickets. JB confirmed this is not the 
case, however the Flexi tickets will still be offered, and these will now be the same 
cost per game as the half season ticket. 
KD asked if there will be an instalment plan as there was this season. JB confirmed 
this is the case, with the 10 and 4 month plans being offered along with the addition 
of a 6 month plan being discussed. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 12. 
4 
Agenda Item 13 – Capex Update BFC 
JF confirmed there are formal plans for a 1200 square metre plot in the East Stand 
Car Park for the incoming Fanzone, with potential for installation towards the last 
home game of the season, subject to plans being submitted. 
He also confirmed that there are ongoing works to the fire alarm system. Future 
plans include work on the East Stand cladding, subject to planning permissions, and 
Hospitality/concourse upgrades. 
HL asked regarding safe standing and its installation. JF has clarified that current 
plans are to install safe standing after the Huddersfield home game; however the 
club are still awaiting full SGSA sign off. 
AG inquired if there may be an opportunity to extend the safe standing into OR2, if 
the implementation in OR1 goes well. JF acknowledged that there would be a 
possibility of an extension, however we will monitor the OR1 installation and use 
that as a guide for future expansion. 
KD asked for an update on the West Stand guttering. JF verified this is to be 
completed in the summer. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 13. 
Agenda Item 14 – Chanting Incidents BFC 
JF highlighted two occasions of chanting incidents in recent weeks. 
The first of these was the chants aimed at James McClean of Wrexham AFC. IT was 
noted that the “IRA” part of the chant is not the issue, it is the “Pope” part that is 
the issue, due to it being a protected characteristic under the law. Therefore, this is 
racist and illegal and has led to police investigation. 
The second noted incident was the chant regarding JAQ. JF identified that this chant 
originally started at Peterborough. The chant is highly offensive and contains words 
which are not acceptable. 
JB made it clear that the club are working with agents such as the local Police , her 
game too and with Kick It Out to identify people who are chanting any offensive 
chants and act on them. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 14 
Agenda Item 15 – Family Area BFC 
JB remarked on the Family Excellence’s report regarding the family area’s size and its 
location. They had noted that the location isn’t and rather out of the way for most 
families. The current plan is to move the family area to the lower area to allow for 
room for player meets and other events. They also plan to move the iPads that are 
in use with it, as these are used regularly. This is in an exploratory phase. 
HL asked for an update on if there will be any tables and chairs in the upper tier of 
the East Stand for families. JB said this was currently up for further discussion. 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 15. 
Agenda Item 16 – Fan Engagement Report BFC 
JB has said the club is preparing to produce their 6 monthly update on fan 
engagement. He has asked the board to help produce a joint statement in the 
coming weeks which was agreed upon by the group. 
Action Log Agenda Item 
16: 
JB to contact group in 
coming weeks regarding 
producing the statement. 
Agenda Item 17 – Any Other Business (AOB) ALL 
SB has drafted a letter to the EFL regarding experiences of fans like MW. This has 
been seen by KD and will also be seen by MW and JF to be approved and sent. Future 
No Specific Actions for the 
log recorded for Agenda 
Item 17. 
5 
action on this also includes a one-minute-long video of MW discussing his 
experiences at the grounds to be attached. 
Following the incident at Exeter City, MW confirmed that they had kindly reimbursed 
him for his ticket, travel and other expenses. This was related to the audio visual 
commentary not being available. 
HL questioned if the 10 mile away team rule imposed by police forces was no longer 
in force, due to some fan groups heading to Chorley as their stop before heading 
onto Bolton Wanderers. JF confirmed this was still in force, howev er there may be 
exceptions made, which is up to local police. 
MW asked for an update on the upgraded microphones for the hospital radio 
commentary team. PH confirmed that DW had purchased and donated the two new 
microphones. 
AG provided positive feedback from the fans for this season’s reissued retro shirt, 
and asked if there would be potential for a fan vote on what the next one should be. 
JF noted this for discussion with Fanatics. 
KD asked for further updates on the QR scan system for food and drinks at fan’s 
seats. JF verified that this is much more difficult, and while there may be a trial by 
the end of the season, this will be on a very small scale and around half time 
collections and pre-order. 
Close – 19.55pm 
Action Items 
Action Log Responsible Due Date 
Action Log Agenda Item 1: KD to circulate Dec 24’ 
minutes to group and JF for approval and publishing. 
KD February FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 2: CL to begin research and 
contacting similar groups in the league. CL will also liaise 
with JF around the Lincoln FAB and other groups. 
CL February FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 8: PG is to publish the website 
formally and will allow board members to test the site 
first before public use. AG is to use his agenda point 6 as 
a test for the website before it goes live. 
PG/AG February FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 10: JF to look into the away 
netting and the tidiness of the ground. 
JF February FAB Meeting 
Action Log Agenda Item 16: JB to contact group in 
coming weeks regarding producing the statement. 
JB February FAB Meeting 
Next Meeting 
Date: Tues 11.2.25 Time: 6.30 
pm 
Location: F2F @ OAKWELL 
Online Available

Source: https://fab.barnsleyfc.co.uk/meetings/2025-01-16
